Things that made me happy this week 1.26.13
- Spending a few days in San Francisco as frigid weather arrived in Chicago.
- The charcuterie platter at Chris Cosentino’s Incanto.
- Sightglass Coffee. Move over Blue Bottle. I think I have a new favorite San Francisco roaster.
- Seasons 1 and 2 of Shameless.
- The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman.
- The chicken pot pie from Bang Bang Pie Shop. A thing of beauty.
- The Beer Temple, a great new beer shop in my neighborhood.
- My dog catching snowflakes in his mouth.
- Michelle Obama’s bangs. Bang solidarity. Don’t hate.
The Bruery Provisions in Orange, Calif. A nice little shop featuring the company’s own beer, as well as other beers, cheese and wine. The three bottles I brought home were polished off quickly, my favorite the Marrón Acidifié, a collaboration with Cigar City Brewing in Tampa, Fla. The brewery says: “Over a year in barrels has left this dark sour layered with notes of cranberries, tropical fruits, leather and aged balsamic vinegar, balanced by wood tannins and roasted malt.”
Rode my bike to The Malt House for the Madison Craft Beer Week tapping of New Glarus Bourbon Barrel Kriek - they had one of only two quarter barrels in existence. And of course I got there just in time to see the last glass poured and the handle promptly unscrewed and replaced. I had my heart set on something sour, so I settled for the Ichtegem Grand Cru Flemish Red Ale.